Your club may do five or more service projects this year. Members can get to know your community and its needs through conversations, news and research. Challenge your members to consider different causes or needs as they choose projects. Also, make sure to educate people about the need, cause or organization while doing service — this may inspire people to continue supporting the cause after they support your club’s current service project!
Check out this list of need categories and possible service projects:
- Animals: Organize a school assembly with a speaker from a local animal shelter and share information on how to foster or adopt a pet.
- Bullying: Collect plastic bottle caps and raise money to build a buddy bench for your school playground. Club officers and members can be role models by befriending kids on the bench.
- The environment: Learn about the impact of plastic on our environment. Educate your community and families about the benefits of reusable grocery bags.
- People with disabilities: Learn about the Special Olympics. Hold a fundraiser and donate to the organization.
- Education and literacy: Hold a book drive and donate the books to a community center or Little Free Libraries in your town.
- Eldercare: Arrange a visit to an assisted living facility to play games with or make holiday cards for its residents.
- Health and wellness: Research about little things kids can do to be healthier and create a campaign at your school sharing “health tips for kids.”
- Hunger and homelessness: Learn about hunger and food insecurity in your community. Share information with your school and families as you hold a canned food drive for a local pantry.
- Kindness: Use Random Acts of Kindness resources to promote kindness in your school.
- Including others: Plan a welcome event for new students, with fun icebreakers and get-to-know-you activities at your school.
- Equal rights for all: Learn about the clean water crisis facing 2 billion people in the world. Organize a jerry can walk at your school to increase empathy and raise money for an organization that builds wells.