Terrific Kids > Resources > Kid-safe websites > Internet safety pledge
Internet safety pledge
The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children put together an Internet Safety Pledge.
- I will not give out personal information such as my address, telephone number, parents'/guardians' work address/telephone number, or the name and location of my school without my parents'/guardians' permission.
- I will tell an adult right away if I come across any information that makes me feel uncomfortable.
- I will never agree to get together with someone I "meet" online without first checking with my parents/guardians. If my parents/guardians agree to the meeting, I will be sure that it is in a public place and bring my parent or guardian along.
- I will never send a person my picture or anything else without first checking with my parents/guardians.
- I will not respond to any messages that are mean or in any way make me feel uncomfortable. It is not my fault if I get a message like that. If I do I will tell my parents/guardians right away so that they can contact the online service.
- I will talk with my parents/guardians so that we can set up rules for going online. We will decide upon the time of day that I can be online, the length of time I can be online and appropriate areas for me to visit. I will not access other areas or break these rules without their permission.
Reviewing these internet safety rules with kids is a good way to start educating them about the Internet.
Here are more internet safety pledges to share.