KKids > Lead > K-Kids club advisors > Connecting with parent groups
Connecting with parent teacher groups
What to do
Set up a meeting
- Talk to the school principal and request contact information for the PTO/PTA president.
- Contact the PTO/PTA president and ask if the K-Kids club can provide refreshments for the next meeting and give a quick presentation.
- Visit the PTO/PTA website to learn more about the organization so you know what to expect at the meeting.
PTO (Parent Teacher Organization)
PTA (Parent Teacher Association)
Prepare for the presentation
- Order free K-Kids brochures from Kiwanis International.
- Download the Educate K-Kids parents Presentation. Save this on a thumb drive.
- Secure a screen, projector and laptop to share the PowerPoint presentation.
- If audiovisual is not available, print the presentation and use it as a speech guide.
- Take the K-Kids banner to display at the meeting.
- Practice your presentation.
- Purchase or bake items to provide as refreshments at the meeting.
The day of the presentation
- Arrive at the PTO/PTA meeting location early and set up a refreshment table.
- Lay K-Kids brochures on chairs or on the refreshment table.
- Display the K-Kids banner in front of the room.
- Set up equipment and test it to make sure your PowerPoint displays.
- If you’re not using audiovisual equipment, consider posting points on an easel or poster board in front of the room.
Key points to cover
- Explain the K-Kids program.
- Provide information about Kiwanis and how a Kiwanis club sponsors the K-Kids club.
- Explain that K-Kids members and Kiwanis volunteers are available to help the PTO/PTA with fundraising and service projects.
- Provide information about when and where the K-Kids club meets as well as club advisor contact information.
- Ask PTO/PTA members how K-Kids club members can be of assistance with future projects.
- Send a note thanking the PTO/PTA president for allowing you to attend the meeting.
- Invite PTO/PTA members to the club’s first service project.
- If your K-Kids club produces a newsletter, send a copy to the PTO/PTA president every month.
- Post thank-you messages to the PTO/PTA on the K-Kids bulletin board.